Newington is believed to date back to 997 AD.
Newington is a village and civil parish in South Oxfordshire about 4.5 miles (7km) North of Wallingford and about 10 miles (16km) South East of the City of Oxford. It is located on the A329 between Warborough, 2.3 miles (3.7km) to the South and Stadhampton 1.6 miles (2.5km) to the North.
The village lies in the beautiful Thames Valley.
During the 19th Century the total area of the Parish was 2836 acres. Historically it was a very important Parish with links to Canterbury Cathedral priory. The majority of the area initially belonged to two estates; The Newington Estate, broken up in 1856 and The Holcombe Estate broken up in 1911, other land was owned by the Church. Since then there have been several different boundary changes and in 2011 the total area of the Parish was 1799 acres.
The village is a predominately agricultural landscape with little development since the Second World War. The population of the village has also reduced even in recent times from 129 people in 38 houses in 1951 to the current figure of 102 people in 43 houses (2011 census).
The Parish Church of Saint Giles was built in the 12th century; there are two surviving Norman arches. The west tower and the spire were added in the 14th century. The tower has four bells which are sadly currently unringable. The church provides a space where villagers can congregate for events such as the annual Summer Hog Roast, The Harvest Supper and the Candlelit Carol Service. A small group of residents work tirelessly to ensure these events raise the money to enable the church to stay open.
More information from Wikipedia
Regeneration of the Church
In recent months a working party has been set up by The Parish Council and The Parochial Church Council to investigate funding for regeneration of the church. This project is ongoing, please get in touch with Councillor Peter Ablett for further details.